Dec 25, 2011

E-books versus Print

There has long been a debate on which is better.  I like both of them for various reasons.

E-books

I have an iPad and like to use that when I'm at home.  I don't take it elsewhere because it's not really worth it.  The space requirements for e-books is what draws me to them.  The other thing I like about e-books is that I have a dictionary function that I can use in the book.  Trivial, I know.  I find that when I read a print book, I miss that. I know that there is the whole piracy aspect of e-books and I wish that there was a way to overcome that.  My library:

My favorite e-book programs containing over 300 books



Print

I have tons of print books.  I have a library, bookshelves in my room and I am still in need of more bookcases.  I like to take print books to work because when I can read is sporadic sometimes and print books are just easier. You sometimes get a better feel of a print book than you do an e-book.  Covers and other aspects don't always translate to e-books.  The only drawback is they take up so much space.
The pictures are of my virtual library (my iPad) versus my actual library.  Including the latest additions.
My library and some new additions:

Messy and full...

The bookcase in my room.  Also full

New Additions.  Excited about these!


What is your opinion?




3 comments:

  1. Once upon a time I was steadfastly against e-books. Only because I didn't have an e-reader and the idea of reading a book off a screen really bugged me. Nowadays there are so many great indie books being published as e-books that I would kick myself if I couldn't read them. They will never replace my love of print books but I think both mediums are valid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have an ereader, but I'm moving soon and I've just started to realize how many books I have. Like my room is full of books I have collected and some of them I haven't even read! It's just eye opening to realize that I have to pack all of my books and ship them. If one box is lost, I know I will be so sad. So yeah. I have a lot of books.

    I would like to think that having an eReader will make my life SO much easier, but I have the feeling that I won't make the transition easily since I don't like looking at a screen all day. At least once a week, I like to take a break from electronics and there's nothing more relaxing then that.


    I'm kinda caught in the middle. On the one hand, I love my print books because it's a break from the computer. But I hate having to lug them along and carry them around. Then when I finish one, I don't have another one, it's like, "Dang! I should have brought another book!"

    On the other hand, I love the idea of having hundreds of books in one device. But I really can't stand the idea of reading on a screen. It has literally destroyed my eyesight. So yeah.

    I'm torn in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lan - I felt the same way. At first, I was against e-books, even though I love technology, but I have warmed up to them. Especially as the space in my house diminishes because of book shelves. :)

    Larissa - Looking at a screen is difficult. Especially if you read as much as I do. That is why I mix it up. Both e-books and print books. I find that if I spend all day reading a book on my iPad, I will have weird headaches, so I try not to do that too long. I do like that you can get galleys through netgalley and also through Simon & Schuster. That is a bonus to e-books.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think about my reviews. Please leave a link to let me know who you are!