Dec 27, 2011

Obsidian (Updated)

Publisher: Entagled Publishing
Publish Date: already out
Version: e-book
Series: A Lux Novel
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don’t kill him first, that is.

“Katy’s Krazy Obsession” is a book blog by Katy Swartz, who recently moved to Ketterman, West Virginia.  Her mom, Kellie Swartz decided that they needed a fresh start after living in the same spot in Gainesville, Florida after Katy’s father had died.  In Ketterman, Katy and her mother move in next door to the Blacks, Daemon and Dee.  When Katy meets Daemon, her initial reaction was that of shock of the way he looked.  She almost couldn’t ask him where the nearest store was, her reason for going over there in the first place.  Then Daemon talks to her and all bets are off.  By the end of the conversation, Katy is calling Daemon a “douchebag,” but he does give her directions to the store in Petersburg.

While at Foodland in Petersburg, Katy meets Dee, Daemon’s brother.  After talking with her a little, she agrees to come over to Katy’s house and help her with the flower garden later.  Through Dee, Katy gets more exposure to Daemon, although he isn’t any nicer to her.   Dee eventually makes him be nice to Katy and take her swimming.  This is the start of the love/hate relationship that Katy and Daemon have.

It isn’t long before Katy starts noticing that the Blacks, along with some other students in town are not “normal.”  While taking a walk in the woods with Daemon, he saves Katy from a bear and thus puts a trace on her.  This trace will lead certain people straight to her.  After a few more strange things happen, Katy is finally let in on the truth.  The only thing left is to figure out how to get a trace off of her, keep her safe and how to keep the identities of her new friends a secret.

When I started this book, I couldn’t put it down.  If you read my reviews, you know that I like things are not mainstream.  It makes my brain work and I like that.  This book was definitely that.  The fact that Daemon was such a jerk in the book made it all the better.  I was always waiting for the next altercation that Daemon and Katy would have.
  • Katy.  In the beginning of the book, she decides that she is no longer going to be “reserved, practical Katy.”  Even though Daemon is acting like a jerk toward her trying to scare her away from Dee, she is still friends with Dee.  She takes in everything that happens in the book and fights for what she cares about.

  • Dee.  Dee is one of a set of triplets.  There are Daemon and Dawson.  You don’t hear too much about Dawson because he disappeared with a girl the year before.  Dee wants to have a normal friend and that is what she sees in Katy.   She stands up to Daemon to keep her as a friend.

  • Daemon.  Yes, I like Daemon.  Even though he acts like a jerk to Katy in the book, he will fight to protect his family and those he cares about.  That is what is important.  Even though he does give Katy unnecessary stress and tries to keep her from being friends with Dee, he does have his good moments.  

  • Carissa and Lesa.  They are Katy’s two friends that she makes in school.  They inform Katy of the local gossip and about Dawson.  They are good friends to her.  Even though they don’t know what is happening, they are good friends.
  • Ash.  I understand where she is coming from regarding Katy, but I still don’t like her.  She acts bratty and wishes she were Daemon’s girlfriend.

  • The Arum.  They are the people who are after Daemon, Dee and others of their kind.  They don’t hesitate to hurt anyone that comes in their path.

  • Daemon.  I put him on both sides because I don’t like the way he acts in the beginning of the book.  Even after Katy finds out about them, he still has his moments.  
I thought that this cover was brilliant.  There is a girl and a boy on the cover.  I presume the boy to be Daemon and the girl is Katy.  I like how you can see Daemon’s green eyes.  The title is written in hexagons at the top of the cover.  The green really makes it stand out and again helps bring out the green in his eyes.  The byline “They’re not like us…” fits here and you can tell from looking at the pictures that they look kinda perfect.

Tentative release date: February 21, 2012
This is described as Lux 0.5 and was meant as a prequel to Obsidian.  From the sounds of the synopsis, you don't have to read Obsidian to understand what is happening in this book.  This book stars Dawson, the lost triplet of Dee and Daemon.
The last thing Dawson Black expected was Bethany Williams. As a Luxen, an alien life form on Earth, human girls are…well, fun. But since the Luxen have to keep their true identities a secret, falling for one would be insane. Dangerous. Tempting. Undeniable.

Bethany can’t deny the immediate connection between her and Dawson. And even though boys aren’t a complication she wants, she can’t stay away from him. Still, whenever they lock eyes, she’s drawn in. Captivated. Lured. Loved.

Dawson is keeping a secret that will change her existence...and put her life in jeopardy. But even he can’t stop risking everything for one human girl. Or from a fate that is as unavoidable as love itself.


Tentative Release Date: May 29, 2012
Onyx is the second book in the Lux series.  Again, it has Daemon and Katy on the cover.  I like the blue on this one.  Green is okay, but blue is my favorite color.  The ending of Obsidian left lots of questions, so I will be anxious to see if they are answered in this book.  Well, at least some of them. 
Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense is here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…




Find Jennifer





Buy Obsidian


2 comments:

  1. Great review! I've seen this one floating around and can't wait to give it a read. I absolutely adore the green eyes in the cover as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I enjoyed Obsidian and will definitely be reading the next in series.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think about my reviews. Please leave a link to let me know who you are!