Jun 12, 2011

Divergent

We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.

Veronica Roth
This book kept readers wondering what was going to happen next.  It is set in a society that have five factions.  They are: Abnegation, Candor, Amity, Erudite and Dauntless.  Each faction represents a different virtue.  Because of this, there are expectations on which faction people will choose when they reach sixteen.  They will be in the faction they choose for life, so this isn't a decision to be made lightly.

“Sometimes crying or laughing are the only options left, and laughing feels better right now.”

The story revolves around Beatrice, the events leading up to her choice, her initiation into her chosen faction, her discovery of who she is and a little romance.  The competition aspect is what will lure you into this story.  Not everyone who chooses a faction will make it through initiation.  The ones who don't, become homeless.  The way this book is written captivates you as though you are right there next to the main character and experiencing the transformation that Beatrice goes through.  A must read for anyone who likes dystopian fantasies.

Goodreads synopsis:

Beatrice "Tris" Prior has reached the fateful age of sixteen, the stage at which teenagers in Veronica Roth's dystopian Chicago must select which of five factions to join for life. Each faction represents a virtue: Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity, and Erudite. To the surprise of herself and her selfless Abnegation family, she chooses Dauntless, the path of courage. Her choice exposes her to the demanding, violent initiation rites of this group, but it also threatens to expose a personal secret that could place in mortal danger. Veronica Roth's young adult Divergent trilogy launches with a captivating adventure about love and loyalty playing out under most extreme circumstances.

You think my first instinct is to protect you. Because you're small, or a girl, or a Stiff. But you're wrong."

He leans his face close to mine and wraps his fingers around my chin. His hand smells like metal. When was the last time he held a gun, or a knife? My skin tingles at the point of contact, like he's transmitting electricity through his skin.

"My first instinct is to push you until you break, just to see how hard I have to press." he says, his fingers squeezing at the word break. My body tenses at the edge in his voice, so I am coiled as tight as a spring, and I forget to breathe.

His dark eyes lifting to mine, he adds, "But I resist it."

"Why..." I swallow hard. "Why is that your first instinct?"

"Fear doesn't shut you down; it wakes you up. I've seen it. It's fascinating." He releases me but doesn't pull away, his hand grazing my jaw, my neck. "Sometimes I just want to see it again. Want to see you awake."

1 comment:

  1. I keep seeing posts on 'Divergent'. I really should get myself a copy.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think about my reviews. Please leave a link to let me know who you are!