Sep 8, 2011

Author Interview: Jeffrey David Payne

Jeffrey David Payne, the author of Far From the War which is due to be published September 17, has answered a few questions I had about him and his upcoming novel.

There are a lot of war experiences in this book.  How did you come up with these occurrences that seem so real?

I served in the military right after high school, but this was in the early 90's after the first gulf war, so I served in peacetime.  That was enough to give me a sense of how people in the military interact  with each other and I did pick things up from the veterans who'd been  at war and at sea.  I tried to refine this sense with old documentaries, war memoirs, lots of technical research, and talking with friends and relatives who've served more recently.  I think what  realism the book has comes from a combination of planning, technical research and an unwillingness to gloss over disturbing truths.  I also worked out the specifics of the war and its causes in advance.  Though the progress of the war seems clouded to Esther and most Americans in the book, I've got maps and notes that lay out the battle lines, force strengths, etc.  Once I did that, the next step was to figure out how much of the big picture Esther's choices would bring her into contact with.

Do you ever experience writer’s block and how do you get over it?

I don't get writers block very often.  What I get is editors block.  I love writing the story, but I can get impatient with editing because I'm so anxious to move on to the next project, in this case to carry on with the trilogy.  Another key issue for me is time.  When I get time to write, I try not to waste it.

What kind of books do you like to read?

I don't read as much fiction as I'd like to because it always seems like I'm doing research.  I read a lot of non-fiction relating to politics, history and economics - exciting, I know.  I do try to alternate back and forth between fiction and non-fiction.  I think while some people read to escape from reality, I tend to revel in the tragic side of human nature, so lean towards bleaker fare like Cormac McCarthy and George Orwell.

Who is your favorite character in this series and why?

The obvious answer is Esther, but I've got a special place in my heart for Gwen.  I think what I like about Gwen is what she represents for Esther.  Esther has a lot of flaws -- she's always put her goals ahead of every other consideration and in a larger sense, the confusion and frustration that Esther experiences early in the novel is well deserved (especially if you know all the unwritten back story like I do).  I think what Gwen gives Esther is a shot at redemption and becomes her first real friend.  I think kindness trumps most other considerations in life and Gwen sets the example of kindness for Esther and prepares her mentally to meet Matthew.  Writing you-know-what in chapter  you-know-which was difficult for me, but necessary to let Esther know what the real stakes are in war.

Do you base your characters off real people?

In some cases.  I think it's easier to create believable characters if you ground them in people you've met.  In the sequel to Far From The War, which I'm working on right now, the relationship between Esther and Charlotte is loosely based on what I've observed between my wife Kathryn and her sister Elizabeth.

Favorite color?

Black.

Favorite holiday/season?

Thanksgiving - it's the low key holiday.

Word(s) that best describes you and why:

Workaholic, because that's what everyone always tells me, but I'm working on it.

Optimist or pessimist:

I'd say I'm pessimistic at the macro level and optimistic at the micro level.  I don't have a lot of hope for the world at large, but there's plenty to be hopeful about in my own life and inner circle.  I have a nine month old boy who won't stop smiling.  How pessimistic can you really be when you're surrounded by that?

Favorite author/book/series:

My favorite non-fiction book is The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman.  My favorite novel is The Jungle by Upton Sinclair, though it's also a deeply flawed book and I wouldn't call Upton Sinclair my favorite author.  That distinction and that of my favorite series belongs to Patrick O'Brian and his Master and Commander series.

Favorite food/drink:

I'm trying to recover from a Diet Coke addiction.  No other drink has emerged to replace it yet, but mochas from the JavaBean seem promising. My favorite food is probably Clam Chowder from Duke's with their strong sourdough bread on the side.  I'm also a big fan of the Tacos de Machaca from Senor Moose here in Seattle.

Favorite place to read/write:

I have an office in my house where I do all my writing.  If I could just transport it to the Oregon Coast, that would be perfect.



I would like to thank Jeffrey David Payne for taking the time to answer my questions.  I encourage everyone to check out Far From the War when it comes out next week. 

How to connect:
Website
Facebook
Twitter
Amazon
iBooks

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting sounding book that I have to look up. Btw I'm here via FF. I'm your newest follower and would love for you to visit me when you get a chance.

    http://wowfromthescarfprincess.blogspot.com/2011/09/follow-friday_08.html

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think about my reviews. Please leave a link to let me know who you are!