Nov 3, 2011

Author Interview: Julia Crane

Julia Crane, the author of Keegan's Chronicles has answered some questions that I had for her.  Keegan's Chronicles consist of Coexist and the sequel Conflicted.  Young Adult Book Reviews would like to thank Julia for taking the time to answer my questions.


What inspires you when you write?

I get inspiration everyday at the oddest times. It’s usually when I’m not trying to force it such as when I'm folding laundry or doing the dishes. I’ll get an idea and then mull it over throughout the day. In the evening, I’ll rush to get it down before I forget about it. I also like to watch people when I am out and make up stories about them in my mind which sometimes leads to a spark of an idea.

Do you base your characters off of real people?  Do you have a process for coming up with characters?

With Keegan’s Chronicles I took a lot of characteristics from people I know. It made it quicker to write when I had personalities in mind. I’m working on a couple of other books right now and they are completely made up. Both ways are fun. It’s interesting to watch a character come alive on the pages.


Do you ever experience writer's block and how do you get over it?

I get stuck at times, and usually I just walk away from it - literally. There is something about walking that gets me unstuck. I love being outside it relaxes me so I’ll usually take a long walk and let my mind wander.

What type/genre of books do you like to read?

I love all sorts of books. It depends on the mood I’m in.  I often like to read books I can get lost in without much thought. But I also enjoy books with meaning. I could walk in a book store and grab any book on the best sellers and devour it, or just as easily go back into the literature section and pick up a classic. I don’t read as much YA as I should and I’m trying to rectify that. I read the books my teen daughter reads, but unfortunately she doesn’t read as much as she should. 

Who is your favorite character in Keegan's Chronicles and why?

That’s a hard question. If I had to pick one I think it would be Rourk because he’s so strong and steady. There is nothing he wouldn’t do for Keegan. Even though he doesn’t have much to say his feelings are deep. 

In Keegan's Chronicles, the idea that elves meet their chosen at age 18 is not mainstream Young Adult. Where did you get the ideas for this series?

Hmm, I’ve never been asked that question. I’m really not sure where I came up with the idea. Now that I sit here and think about it, it is probably because it’s impossible to know who you are when you are younger. I met my ex-husband when I was 15 and that was just too young. I think teens should date and experience not settle down at such a young age. Eighteen is also young, but there is magic involved so it seems justifiable. 

Favorite color

Green

Favorite holiday/season

Fall/Thanksgiving

Word that best describes you and why 

Private. I’m sort of a loner I enjoy the quiet.  

Optimist or pessimist 

Optimist

Favorite author/book/series 

John Sandford/Atlas Shrugged/Terry Goodkind's Seeker series. 

Favorite food/drink 

Meat and Potatoes/Folgers Coffee

Favorite place to read/write 

Coffee shop





No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about my reviews. Please leave a link to let me know who you are!